Welcome to the developmental track and field series. Our students have gotten off to a fast start at the practices. Coach Pat, Jana and I have been stressing proper running form for both sprints and distances runs. We’ve practiced standing and crouch starts. We’ve also taught the students dynamic stretches that will be used for the warm-ups. Please read this email carefully as it has important information for you and your child. It would be helpful to review it with your child in case they miss announcements made at practice.
Here is the track meet schedule for 4th and 5th graders
|Friday, March 21||10:00 AM to 12:30 PM||Verizon Field||4th grade||Instructional|
|Friday, March 28||10:00 AM to 12:30 PM||Verizon Field||5th grade||Developmental|
|Friday, April 11th||10:00 AM to 12:30 PM||Verizon Field||4th grade||Developmental|
|Friday, April 25th||10:00 Am to 12:30 PM||Verizon Field||5th grade||Developmental|
|Saturday, May 31st||9:00 Am to 5:00 PM||Icahn Stadium,Randalls Island||Invite only||Championship|
Please read this important Track Meet Information!!!
1. Thank you for submitting your child’s Lower Lab School permission slips to Mr. Goodman. To participate in the track meets, there is an additional DTFS (Developmental Track and Field Series) release form that must be signed and handed into Mr. Goodman by this Friday, March 14th. The DTFS release form, created by the NYRR, is attached to this email. It will also be passed out at practice tomorrow. The DTFS release forms looks similar to our permission slip but it’s needed for students to participate in the track meets. Mr. Goodman will hand these out on Thursday during practice. Please complete these sheets and return them to Mr. Goodman’s mailbox asap.
2. Elementary Schools have 4 meets in their section of New York City. Our section is Manhattan South. We have 1 instructional meet and 3 developmental meets.
3. Our team will be departing from school by yellow bus at 9:30 AM and returning to school at 1:30 PM. All of the meets will be held on Friday’s with exception to the championship meet.
4. All of the meets (except the Championship) will be held at Verizon Field on Cherry Street in Downtown Manhattan.
5. Please make sure your child brings their track shirt, shorts, warm-up clothes, water bottle and their own lunch to the meets. Students cannot wear in jeans or run in spikes, boots, sandals or barefoot. The participants can wear no jewelry.
6. Instructional meets offer the following events (100 meter, 400 meter, shot put, long jump and relays). At Instructional meets, students learn about each discipline in short workshops, led by NYRR staff, before they participate in events.
7. Developmental meets offer all the events listed in the instructional meets as well as the 200-meter and 800 meter.
8. With the exception of the students chosen for the relay teams, students can only participate in a maximum of 2 events.
9. As for the weather cancellation policy, coaches will receive a text, email and phone call at 7:00 Am on the day of the meet to let them know if the meet is canceled. Our parents will receive an email from Mr. Goodman as soon as he finds out if the meet is canceled.
10. Students may not bring electronic devices such as I-phones, I-pods or video games to the meet. Students can bring books and even do homework assignments in the bleachers before or after their events are over.
11. If you wish to chaperone one of the track meets, please email Mr. Goodman
12. Student participation in the meets is not mandatory. However, we operate under the assumption that your child will be participating in the meets unless Mr. Goodman gets an email or written letter from you. Please let Mr. Goodman know as soon as possible if your child will not participate in one of the track meets. With that being said, participation in track meets allows students to learn about competition, improve their skills and build camaraderie with classmates.
We look forward to having another successful track and field season. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email me and I will get back to you promptly.
Physical Education & Health
PS 77 Lower Lab School
1700 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10128