You Might Get A Letter from Nurse Regarding Medication Administration Form/s (MAF) – Action Needed

Dear Lower Lab Families,

In the coming days, you might find a letter from the nurse in your child’s backpack. This is regarding medications related to allergies for the 2019-2020 school year. Nurse Peña is preparing her files for children who are listed as students with MAF needs.

Please do not disregard this letter and take the action requested to fill out these forms. MAF Request Letter 2019-20

Dear Parent or Guardian,

As part of the New York City Department of Health and Department of Education, school nurses can play an important role in helping you manage your child’s _______________. Our goal is to keep our students healthy, resulting in less lost class time.


I am enclosing appropriate Medication Administration Form/s (MAF) for the school year 2019-2020. I am asking that you have the front of the MAF completed by your child’s doctor; you complete the back, initialing and signing where appropriate. It is our hope that these forms are returned prior to the next school year.


Here are some things to consider when discussing with your doctor.

  1. Taking Medicine at School

We offer three different levels of supervision while your child is taking medicine. Your child’s independence level will determine if (s)he can take medicine unassisted, or will need to be supervised by a trained staff member or a nurse. Consider talking to your child’s health care provider to decide which option is best for your child.

  1. Nurse Dependent

Your child’s prescribed medicine will be given by the school nurse. The school nurse will ensure that your child’s medicine is taken correctly, as prescribed.

  • This option is best for students who may not take their medicine correctly on their own. For example:
    • They may not understand the medicine’s purpose or what would happen if it isn’t taken.
    • They may have trouble consistently identifying their medicine, knowing how to take it (the correct route), the right dose, or when to take the medicine.
  1. Supervised

Your child will be assisted by a trained adult. The staff member will help your child take his medicine according to the health care provider’s directions. For example, if your child asks, the staff member may help open bottles, pour liquid or assemble a nebulizer.

  • This option is best for students who know how to take their medicine correctly but still need some help taking it.
  • Staff members help if the student asks, so students must be responsible enough to identify their medicine, know when and how to take it, and the correct dose. Note that the School Nurse does an assessment to see if child can correctly administer his/her own medication.
  1. Independent

Your child will give themselves medicine without any help. For rescue medicines, like those needed for asthma, diabetes, and allergies, your child will carry the medicine with them during the school day. This option is best for students who can consistently take their medicine correctly on their own.

If your child’s medicine is not a rescue medicine, they will go to the school health office to take it. Controlled substances must be kept in the school medical room.

  1. How should the medicine be labeled?

Prescription medicine must have original pharmacy labels.  For safety reasons, we only accept new, unopened medicine in its original box or bottle.

The labels must include:

  • your child’s name
  • the pharmacy name and phone number
  • your child’s health care provider’s name
  • the date
  • number of refills
  • name of medicine
  • dosage
  • when to take the medicine
  • how the medicine should be taken
  • any other directions


All Over-the-counter medicine must be in the original bottle or box. 

  1. Change of Diagnosis or condition

**If your physician does not feel that your child would require medication be administered in school, please ask them for a note indicating this so that we can update our records. The letter must be on the Providers letterhead, signed and stamped by the provider.

You MAY give us permission to keep their medication in the medical room to administer if needed. For students that are “self-directed” (except narcotics), and carrying their own Metered Dose Inhalers and/or other medications. For a child with asthma, you may also give us permission to utilize our “stock” inhaler in the event they forget their own at home.

Our additional knowledge and ability to initiate treatment when necessary can help to reduce the severity of some situations. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me. My telephone number is 212 289-3702, extension 1253. You can also go online and get further information at the following link

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.



Cynthia Pena RN
School Nurse
PS198 / PS77