Remote Learning Device Request
If you need a device for your child for the fall, use the Device Request form. This information will be shared with your school so they can work with you to ensure your child has a device for blended or remote learning this Fall.
- Fill Out the Form(Open external link) Deadline for request is 9/8/2020
You can also choose to contact the DOE Help Desk at 718-935-5100, and select option 5 to request a device.
We want to ensure every student is set up for remote learning.
If you borrowed a PS77 Laptop in March and it is having technical issues please email Gina email@example.com with the issues. We may be able to assist next week with any technical support.
If you borrowed a laptop from PS77 and no longer need it this year, please return this device on your first day back in the building. If you are fully remote and want to return your device contact Gina and we will arrange a drop of time.
More on remote Learning Device Requests and iPad set up for first day…
To help students stay connected during emergencies, the DOE is lending internet-enabled iPads to support remote learning for students. If you would like to request a device for a NYC student in your family, please fill out the Request form. The DOE will use the contact information you provide to get in touch with you to discuss when and where you can pick up a device. Priority will be given to students most in need, and all devices are granted on a temporary basis and will need to be returned.
- There is a limit of one device per student
- Families with multiple students will need to fill out a separate form for each device needed
- The device should be used only to access remote learning activities
- The device is being loaned for the student’s use during remote learning
- The device is the property of the NYCDOE and contains a tracking device so that the device can be located.
- The device must be returned when on-site learning resumes unless otherwise instructed by the NYCDOE
Prepare iPads for First Day of School
iPads that have been returned to schools must be prepared for redistribution. Schools should follow the same instructions sent to families on the Getting Started with Your iPad(Open external link) page on the website.
Families with iPads have been notified via text and email to follow these instructions. Schools can support this by reaching out to families with iPads and making sure they follow the posted instructions. Families will get these messages every Thursday.
Getting Started with Your iPad
The DOE has loaned iPads to students across the city for remote learning. Here you will find information on how to get started with your iPad. School staff and community members can also use this information to help students with connectivity and other troubleshooting issues.
iPad Update August 13, 2020
For anyone who has a DOE-loaned ipad, we have some important updates for you. It is essential that you take the actions below to ensure your child’s ipad is ready for use for return to school. The first day of school is only a few weeks away, and all students will be working remotely for at least a few days a week. Your child will need their ipad to be ready for learning for the fall. Please note that when we have other updates, we will send messages to you and your iPad on Thursdays, and we will let your schools know about the updates.
To prepare, you MUST
Turn on the iPad
Some iPads have not been turned on all summer. We need you to charge and power up the ipad.
Turn Airplane Mode On and Off
This will reset your internet connection
- Go to Settings
- Find the Airplane Mode button
- Turn Airplane Mode on for ten seconds (button turns green)
- Turn Airplane Mode off and wait until the ipad reconnects to the internet
- You will see the connected icon at the top of the screen
- Go to schools.nyc.gov to make sure your ipad is connected to the internet – all DOE-loaned ipads have internet access.
Sign into Zscaler
To ensure your child is using the internet with all the safety the DOE requires to protect your child. You will need to sign into the content filter application, Zscaler. Follow these directions, or see the instructions on our Zscaler page:
- Return to the main screen.
- Tap the Zscaler icon.
- Once Zscaler is open (you don’t need to sign in), wait for the “Service Status” to say “ON”.
- Close Zscaler.
- That is it. You can use the iPad normally now.
Sign into the Learn at Home App
To get ready for the first day of school, make connecting to learning and support much easier for your child (and you, too!), and allow you to get notifications on the iPad:
- Find the Learn at Home icon on the main screen on the iPad
- Log in using your @nycstudents.net account (only use the student’s username and password, no need to include @nycstudents to log in)
- From the Learn at Home app your child can access TeachHub, Google Classroom and get help.
Good news! Your child’s iPad is Now a Hotspot
That allows you to connect other devices used for remote learning to the internet. It is easy:
- Go to Settings
- Find Personal Hotspot and click to take you to the login screen
- Select Allow Others to Join
- Devices other students in your house are using for remote learning can be added to that connection
- As a reminder, as with the ipad itself, the hotspot connection is to be used only to access remote learning activities. Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.