During this holiday season, feelings of isolation may be intensified, specifically for those who are elderly and homebound. This year, we are excited for our students at Lower Lab to participate in a service project that will hopefully bring some positivity to others, in spite of our current circumstances.
Citymeals on Wheels is an organization that prepares and delivers daily meals to those that are aging and homebound. This year, our students are encouraged to create and send cards as part of the organization’s Greeting Cards Initiative. Citymeals will then deliver the cards to our elderly neighbors when distributing meals and packages. To learn more about the Greeting Cards Initiative be sure to visit: https://www.citymeals.org/get-involved/greeting-cards
Beginning next week, students who are part of the blended learning model (in-person) will be making cards during SEL sessions. The cards will be collected by a staff member in school and mailed out to Citymeals.
If your child is remote, we would love for him or her to still participate and create a card at home. The project will be discussed during the remote SEL sessions next week.
Here are specific instructions for the card that can also be found on the link:
- Printer paper folded in half, cardstock or construction paper may be used along with crayons and markers.
- The front of the card should say “Thinking of you,” “Have a great day” or “Happy Holidays.” Be creative with your drawings. Designs such hearts, smiley faces, flowers, and anything else that might brighten someone’s day are encouraged.
- We kindly ask that you do not use glitter or religious language and symbols.
- You should include your first name on the inside of the card, from your friends at Citymeals on Wheels, but please do not share other personal information.
In addition, if your child is remote and making the card from home, Citymeals asks that you please follow these mailing instructions:
- On a separate piece of paper, include your child’s full name, The Lower Lab School, and email or mailing address so that they may thank you for your support.
- On the outside of the envelope please list the number of cards, write “Handmade Card Project” and mail completed cards to:
Citymeals on Wheels
Thank you so much for your support! Please don’t hesitate to contact me at email@example.com if you have any questions!
Lower Lab School