Gifted & Talented Updates: Decision Letters and Waitlist Management
School Type: Pre-K and elementary schools
Event: May 31
On May 31, decision letters will be mailed and emailed (for electronic applications) to students who applied for Gifted & Talented K–3 placements, along with instructions for accepting their offer and information about waitlists. Students who received offer letters for grades K–3 placements must pre-register with the school by June 15; offers that have not been accepted by this date will be considered forfeited.
Info on Gifted & Talented
All students who will be entering kindergarten through third grade for the 2019-2020 school year can sign up to test for G&T programs. Get ready by taking these next steps:
- Read the Gifted & Talented Handbook: Learn about G&T Admissions, find programs that interest you, and prepare for the G&T test with practice problems.
- Attend an Elementary Admissions Event in October: Come to an event in your district to learn about G&T and Elementary Admissions.
- Mark your calendar: Plan to sign up to take the G&T test starting in early October.
Families who have a student entering kindergarten for the 2019-2020 school year should also know about Kindergarten Admissions and those school options.
Diversity in G&T Admissions
Elementary schools across the city were invited to participate in a pilot initiative to increase diversity within their schools for students applying this year to attend for the 2018-2019 school year. This year, the following G&T programs will have Diversity in Admissions priorities for incoming kindergarteners. Offers will still be made using standard G&T admissions priorities. We at Lower Lab School PS 77 are proud to participate in this pilot initiative!
For more information on diversity in NYC public schools, you may check out the DOE’s page: http://schools.nyc.gov/AboutUs/schools/diversityinNYCpublicschools.
• Lower Lab School (02M077): Students who qualify for FRL will have priority for 12% of kindergarten seats.
If seats become available in G&T programs for the 2018-2019 school year, schools will continue to make offers through mid-October to students already on their waitlists.
If you just moved to New York City and are not yet enrolled in a school for the 2018-2019 school year, learn how to enroll on the New Students page.
Open doors for your child’s education—sign up for the Gifted & Talented (G&T) test! All NYC residents in pre-K through 2nd grade can take the test.
For your child to take the test, submit the Request for Testing (RFT) form by DOE DEADLINE in one of two ways:
- Online on our application site
- In person
- At your child’s current public school
- At a Family Welcome Center
Gifted &Talented: Admissions Guidelines, Handbooks, and Request for Testing
Gifted & Talented (G&T) Handbooks
You can view and download digital versions of the G&T handbooks here. For more information, review the G&T Admissions Guidelines, which provide an overview of G&T admissions and highlights key dates and actions for schools.
G&T Request for Testing (RFT): The G&T Request for Testing (RFT) period will open in early October; the deadline for submission is around November 2018. Families can submit a paper copy of the RFT at their school or at a Family Welcome Center, or submit the RFT online.
Get ready for Gifted & Talented (G&T) Admissions this fall! Students entering kindergarten through third grade can participate in G&T Admissions and their families can prepare by taking these three steps:
- Read the NYC Gifted & Talented Handbook: Learn about G&T Admissions, find programs that interest you, and prepare for the G&T test with practice problems.
- Go to an Elementary Admissions Event in October: Learn about Pre-K, Kindergarten, and Gifted & Talented Admissions in one night and make one plan for how to apply.
- Mark your calendar: Plan to sign up to take the G&T test starting in early October. Look for a follow up email about when and how to sign up for the test.
The G&T Admissions Team
P.S. Sign up for Kindergarten email updates to get the latest info about applying to kindergarten if your child was born in 2014.
Lower Lab Open House Tours
We will NOT be taking any reservations for the OPEN HOUSE until AFTER the scores are released in March 2019. Check back then if your child has a qualifying score.
Families who receive a qualifying Gifted & Talented letter in the Spring, from the NYCDOE, are offered the opportunity to tour our facilities, attend a short presentation with the Administration, Staff, and PTA representatives, and view our documentary, A Day in the Life of a Lower Lab Student.
- ONLY families who receive a qualifying letter from the NYCDOE will be able to tour PS 77 due to limited space during the Spring
- 50 Kindergarten seats will be available for the 2019-2020 school year
- Seats for grades 1-3 are determined once vacancies are announced in late May
- Grades 1-3 families are welcome to tour if they qualify for Talented and Gifted admissions